The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 is a cutting-edge smartphone designed with a foldable glass display that provides an outstanding user experience. However, like any other electronic device, it also runs into some issues. One common problem users face is the screen not turning on when unfolded. Considering the durability of the Galaxy Z Flip 4’s hinge, designed for 200,000 folds, it’s essential to look into this concern and identify the root cause.
In this article, we offer a comprehensive guide to fixing the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 screen problem when it doesn’t turn on after unfolding. We’ve collected a list of seven tried and tested solutions to tackle this issue.
Without further ado, let’s delve into the possible causes of this problem and the recommended fixes to ensure you can fully enjoy the perks of your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4.
- Although Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 provides an outstanding user experience, it also runs into issues. A common one being the screen not turning on when unfolded.
- The reasons behind the screen not turning on are, software glitches, battery related issues, Display related issues, and hinge issues.
- Effective solutions to resolve the problem are, do a forced restart, do a software update, or look for any damages in the hinge.
Table of Contents
Possible Causes of Screen Not Turn on When Unfolded
There are 4 reasons behind the screen not turning on when the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 is unfolded. Understanding these reasons will support in identifying the best solution and prevent the issue from recurring.
- Software Glitch: A software glitch or bug may prevent the screen from turning on when the phone is unfolded. This is usually a temporary issue and easily resolved by applying specific fixes.
- Battery-related Issues: If the battery of your device is entirely drained or has other battery-related problems, the screen will not turn on when you unfold your phone.
- Display-related Issues: Faulty or damaged display components lead to the screen not turning on when unfolded. This might require professional repair services.
- Hinge Issues: Any damage to the hinge of the device affects the proper functioning of the folding mechanism and causes screen-related issues.
After understanding the possible reasons behind the problem, it’s time to apply the appropriate fixes. Follow along as we guide you through the detailed steps to resolve the screen not turning on when unfolded issue on your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4.
Fix 01 – Unfold the Phone and Press the Power Button
Sometimes, a minor software glitch causes the screen not to turn on when the Galaxy Z Flip 4 is unfolded. It happens when the device is not responding appropriately to the unfolding action, and the screen remains inactive.
To overcome this glitch, you can manually press the power button to turn on the screen:
- Unfold your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 completely, ensuring the hinge is in its natural position.
- Locate the power button on the side of the device.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds, until the screen turns on.
If the screen turns on after manually pressing the power button, it indicates that a temporary glitch was indeed the issue. Refold and unfold your device a few times to see if the screen now turns on automatically without having to press the power button. If the issue persists, move on to the next fix.
Fix 02 – Do a Forced Restart
A forced restart will effectively resolve software glitches or temporary issues that might prevent the screen from turning on when the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 is unfolded. Restarting the device will clear temporary bugs as the system refreshes its components and returns to optimal performance.
To perform a forced restart on the Galaxy Z Flip 4, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the power button and the volume down button simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
- If the Samsung logo appears on the screen, release both buttons.
- Wait for the device to finish restarting.
After the forced restart, unfold your device and check if the screen turns on as expected. If the screen is now functioning correctly, it means that a forced restart resolved the temporary glitch. However, if the problem persists, proceed to the next fix.
Fix 03 – Charge the Phone
A completely drained battery or a battery-related issue might prevent the screen from turning on when unfolding the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4. In such cases, charging the device for a while will fix the problem.
It’s crucial to use a genuine Samsung charger and cable to ensure the right voltage and amperage are provided to your device. Using non-genuine chargers lead to inefficient charging or even damage your smartphone.
To charge your Galaxy Z Flip 4 and check if the issue is resolved, follow these steps:
- Connect your device to the original Samsung charger and cable.
- Allow the phone to charge for at least 30 minutes, ideally until it reaches around 70% battery capacity.
- Unplug the charger and unfold your device.
If the screen turns on after charging, it indicates that the issue was related to the battery or its charge level. Keep an eye on your phone’s battery health to avoid similar problems in the future. However, if the screen remains unresponsive, proceed to the next fix.
Fix 04 – Do a Software Update
Samsung frequently releases software updates to ensure that its devices are equipped with the latest features, improvements, and bug fixes. Updating the software on your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 effectively solves various issues, including the screen not turning on when unfolded. An update might contain patches that address software glitches or offer display improvements that can resolve your specific issue.
To check for and perform a software update on your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, follow these steps:
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi, as software updates can be large files and consume significant mobile data.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your Galaxy Z Flip 4.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Software update.’
- Select ‘Download and install.’ If an update is available, your device will start downloading it.
- Upon completion, the phone will prompt you to install the update. Tap ‘Install now.’
- The device will restart during the update process. Wait for the installation to be completed.
After updating your device, unfold it and check if the screen turns on now. If the problem persists, move on to the next fix.
Fix 05 – Check the Hinge for Any Visible Damages
The hinge is a pivotal component in the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4’s folding mechanism. Any damage or dysfunction in the hinge causes issues with the screen not turning on when unfolded. It’s essential to inspect the hinge for visible damages that are causing the problem.
To check the hinge of your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, follow these steps:
- Turn off your device and gently clean the hinge area to remove any debris or dust.
- Carefully inspect the hinge for any signs of damage, such as cracks, deformations, or misalignment.
- Gently fold and unfold your phone a few times, paying close attention to any unusual noises or resistance.
If you notice any visible damage or abnormalities in the hinge, it’s best to take your device to an authorized Samsung repair center for further inspection and possible repair. If you are eligible for the warranty, remember to take your warranty information with you. However, if the hinge appears to be intact and functioning correctly, proceed to the next fix to address the screen issue.
Fix 06 – Factory Data Reset
If none of the previous fixes have resolved the issue, perform a factory data reset as the final resort. This process restores your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 to its original factory settings, eliminating any software issues that could cause the screen not to turn on when unfolded. However, this process will also erase all your personal data, apps, and settings on the device. Therefore, it’s crucial to create a backup of your important data before proceeding.
To perform a factory data reset on your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, follow these steps:
- Make sure to back up all your important data, such as contacts, messages, photos, and files, either to a cloud service like Samsung Cloud or an external storage device.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘General management.’
- Select ‘Reset.’
- Tap ‘Factory data reset.’
- Review the list of data that will be erased and tap ‘Reset.’
- Confirm the reset by tapping ‘Delete all.’
After the factory data reset is complete, your device will restart, and you’ll need to set it up as a new device. Unfold the phone and check if the screen turns on now.
Fix 07 – Take Your Device to a Repair Center
If you’ve tried all the previous fixes and the screen still doesn’t turn on when unfolding your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, your device will have a hardware issue. Problems related to the display, hinge, or internal components prevent the screen from turning on, and attempting a DIY repair could further damage your device or void its warranty.
In this case, it’s best to take your Galaxy Z Flip 4 to an authorized Samsung repair center. The technicians can accurately diagnose the problem and provide professional repair services. Before visiting the repair center, make sure to check if your device is still under warranty, as repairing the device under warranty can save you repair costs.
We hope this comprehensive troubleshooting guide has provided you with helpful solutions in addressing the screen not turning on when unfolding your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4. By understanding the potential causes and systematically applying each of the seven fixes, you’ll be able to find a solution that resolves the issue.
If you’ve managed to fix the problem, we’d appreciate your feedback on which fix worked for you. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be glad to help!