Screen flickering on a smartphone – the rapid change in screen brightness levels, which can be quite irritating and can even strain your eyes if you’re using your device for an extended period.
This is an issue that some Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 users have been dealing with. The causes behind this issue can vary from a recent software update to even hardware malfunctions.
That said, we have included 07 solutions to address this issue. All you have to do is follow the instructions and apply them to your Z Flip 3. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Fix 01: Restart the Device
Screen flickering can be a result of temporary software glitches, and restarting the device will help you resolve this issue. A restart does this by clearing the system’s temporary memory (RAM) and stopping all the running processes.
So here’s how to force restart your Galaxy Z Flip 3:
- Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down button simultaneously.
- Continue to hold both buttons until the device vibrates and the Samsung logo appears.
- Once the Samsung logo appears, release both buttons.
- Wait for your device to restart.
Fix 02: Turn Off Adaptive Brightness
As you may know, the Adaptive Brightness automatically adjusts the brightness of your device’s screen based on the surrounding light conditions.
If this feature malfunctions, it will result in constant fluctuations in screen brightness, which can cause the screen to flicker.
If this is the case, disabling Adaptive Brightness will solve the screen flickering issue. Follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and select Display.
- Find the Adaptive Brightness option and toggle the switch to turn it off.
Fix 03: Disable HW Overlays in Developer Options
Hardware Overlays (referred to as “HW overlays”), allow apps to directly control specific screen compositions.
This can enhance the performance of your device by allowing smoother transitions and reducing the load on your CPU. However, if a malfunction occurs, then it can cause your screen to flicker.
Therefore, you need to disable HW overlays to fix this, and here is how:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Developer options.
- Scroll down until you find Disable HW overlays.
- Toggle it on.
Fix 04: Boot the Device Into Safe Mode
Booting your Galaxy Z Flip 3 into Safe Mode helps you identify if the screen flickering issue is caused by a third-party app.
Once you’re in Safe Mode, you need to check if the screen flickering issue still persists. If it doesn’t, then a third-party app is likely causing the problem.
You can then start uninstalling recently installed or updated apps one by one, and check after each uninstallation if the problem is resolved.
Here’s how to boot your device into Safe Mode:
- Press and hold the power button until the Power menu appears on the screen.
- Then, tap and hold the Power off option until the Safe Mode appears.
- Tap on the Safe Mode option and your device will restart. You’ll see “Safe Mode” at the bottom left corner of the screen, indicating that your device is in Safe Mode.
Note: To exit Safe Mode, simply restart your device as you normally would.
Fix 05: Do a Software Update
Software bugs are another culprit that can cause the screen flickering issue on your Galaxy Z Flip 3. Since these bugs are harder to rule out by only configuring the device, you need to check if your device has a new update to be installed.
Here’s how you can update your Galaxy Z Flip 3:
- Go to Settings, and then Battery and device care.
- Scroll down and tap on Software update.
- Tap on Download and install to check and download the update.
Fix 06: Reset All Settings
Certain settings in display and accessibility can also cause the screen to flicker if not configured correctly. To rule out this possibility, you can reset all the settings on your device.
Follow these steps to reset all settings on your Galaxy Z Flip 3:
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on General Management.
- Tap on Reset.
- Then, tap on Reset all settings.
- Finally, tap on Reset to confirm.
Fix 07: Take Your Galaxy Z Flip 3 to a Samsung Repair Center
If none of the above solutions have resolved the screen flickering issue, it’s possible that your Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 has a hardware defect in the display.
The best way to handle such issues is to take your device to a Samsung repair center where it can be diagnosed and fixed.
Note: If your device is still under warranty, the repair may be covered at no cost to you.
If you want to find the nearest Samsung repair center, visit Samsung service locator.